Friends of the Library Book Sales
The Friends of the Library (normally) hold two sales per year on Saturdays, once in late September or early October, and once in late May or early June. The sales are open to the public from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM in the Community Room. Occasionally, a "Preview" sale is offered on the Friday evening before the public sale. New members are invited to join the Friends to enjoy priority selection.
What can I donate to the Book Sale?
Support the Library by donating:
- Books (hardback and paperback) in good, clean, readable condition
- Compact discs and DVDs in their original cases
- Unless you are donating only a few books, please put them in boxes before bringing them to the Library.
Items that cannot be used - please do not donate these:
- Any books that have been in the basement, attic or garage, or have any odor
- Reader's Digest condensed books
- Magazines, Travel brochures, Catalogs
- Medical Books
- Business books published more than 4 years ago
- Computer books and manuals published more than 4 years ago
- Textbooks published more than 4 years ago
- Travel guides more than 4 years old
- Encyclopedias and Yearbooks
- Videocassettes, or audiotapes
How are donations used?
Most donations go to The Friends of Library for the book sales, or to the perpetual book sale shelf open year-round and located down the corridor from the Circulation Desk. Books of special or local interest are occasionally added to the Library Collection.
How and when to Donate:
Members of the Friends of the Library are available on the four Thursdays prior to the date of the Book Sale to accept donations at the receiving door in the staff parking lot off Sherman St. Light donations (one small box) may be accepted at the adult or children’s circulation desk.
Are donations tax-deductible?
Yes. The Friends of the Canton Library is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization and your donation is tax-deductible as a charitable contribution to the extent allowed by law. We can provide a receipt upon request if you provide your name and address and the number of each type of item donated (hardcover, paperbacks, etc.), however we cannot provide a monetary value for any donation.
All book sale proceeds are used to benefit the Library.