According to a chronology prepared by former head Librarian Margaret Doody, the Canton Public Library was predated by the Canton Social Library formed by eight proprietors: Elijah Dunbar, Enoch Dickerman, Ezra Dickerman, Andrew Capen, Samuel Capen, Peter Crane, Laban Lewis and Benjamin Lewis. The Library Company organized by Elijah Dunbar goes back to 1766. The books of the Canton Social Library were turned over to the Canton Lyceum. In 1833, the Ladies Sewing Circle of the First Congregational Parish (Unitarian) established a library which was open to all on payment of a small fee. The books of the Canton Lyceum were transferred to the Ladies Sewing Circle Library in 1835.